In our previous article, we’ve given your our Tempurpedic Pillow Buying Guide. This time, we will deal with one of the most frequently asked questions we have: how to wash a Tempurpedic pillow.
This question came because Tempurpedic pillows are memory foam pillows, made of the very delicate viscoelastic gel. One cleaning mistake, and you can ruin the comfort of your Tempurpedic pillow. Yet, you shouldn’t be afraid anymore, since we have compiled an in-depth guide of how to wash a Tempurpedic pillow, including how to easily remove unwanted odors and persistent stains.
Without further ado, let us begin with what you shouldn’t do.
What To Avoid
As we have mentioned, the memory foam material of your Tempurpedic pillow is extremely delicate. Here are some don’ts on how to wash a Tempurpedic pillow:
- Avoid scrubbing, rubbing, and vigorous cleaning of your Tempurpedic pillow
- Do not use industrial cleaners and detergent
- Do not use hot or warm water
- Only use a little bit of water, excessive water can damage the memory foam material
Above all else, never put the memory foam pillow washing machine or dryer, it is one of the worst things you can do to the Tempurpedic Pillow. The included cover, however, is machine washable.
How To Wash a Tempurpedic Pillow: Regular Cleaning
After we have established the don’ts, let us then discuss the actual method. For regular cleaning and eliminating odor, here are simple steps you can follow.
Remove the cover of the pillow. Most, if not all Tempurpedic pillows provide included machine washable cover. However, for most situations, you can simply wash the cover in cold water with only mild soap. This step can also be done for Tempurpedic Pillow Protector.
One thing to keep in mind about cleaning the cover is not to over-dry it. Dry it with the lowest possible temperature in the dryer, or simply dry it on a clothesline.
With the pillow cover removed, roll the pillow like a sleeping bag and release. Repeat to roll up in the opposite direction and release. It is better to do it outside and expose it to the sunlight. This important step will ventilate the memory foam material of the pillow.
After the pillow cover is completely dried up, put it back on the pillow.
If your pillow has any unpleasant odor, sprinkle a little baking soda. Let it stand for a day, then shake the pillow. You can also use a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment. You can put your pillow cover back on after all the baking soda has been cleaned up.
Alternatively, you can also expose the pillow to direct sunlight for a day or two.
How To Wash A Tempurpedic Pillow: Cleaning General Spills
You should not generally drink any liquids in bed, but we all spill our pillows one time or another. To prevent it from staining your pillow, here are what you can do:
- Take a clean bath towel
- Press the towel on the spill to soak up the liquid. If one towel is not enough, you might want to use several.
- Air dry your pillow, you want to remove all traces of moisture. Move the pillow to a room with more air circulation, or you can place a fan near it.
- After the pillow is completely dry, put back the pillow cover on.
How To Wash A Tempurpedic Pillow: Stains Removal
Removing stains from a memory foam pillow can be really hard, and can damage the memory foam material if you are not careful. However, it is not impossible, and you can try the solution below.
- Mix a small amount of mild soap with cold water
- Use a clean cotton towel to dip in the mixture, squeeze it so the moisture is not excessive
- Rub it onto the pillow surface gently, start from the outside part of the stain and work inward. Repeat as necessary until you can remove the stain as much as you can.
- Let the pillow dry by putting it in a room with good circulation, or use a fan. DO NOT use a drying machine
- This solution is not guaranteed to remove the stain completely, but you can use a new pillow cover to hide the stain. Try a Tempurpedic Pillow Protector for more protection from stains.
How To Wash a Tempurpedic Pillow: Removing Stubborn Odor
To remove unpleasant odor from accidents like spilled pet urine, the best way is to use vinegar or liquid enzymatic cleaner. Remember, though, the memory foam material is not made to get wet, so you should be really careful.
- Use 50/50 vinegar or water mix. or enzymatic cleaner with a sprayer.
- Spray the pillow lightly, and let the cleaner solution soak for roughly five minutes
- Try using a clean towel to press on the cleaning solution moisture until the surface of the pillow feels dry
- Get a couple tablespoons of baking soda and sprinkle it over the entire area, leave the Tempurpedic pillow overnight in a room with good air circulation, or use a fan. Use the lowest possible setting if you are using a fan
- The day after, vacuum the baking soda thoroughly, and you can put the cover back on