You may have noticed that trendy throw pillow covers do not come cheap when you go to buy them at home style outlets (they are much cheaper online!). Try making your own pillows at home, suited to your taste, instead of trying to look for them outside. All you would require is learning the fundamental rules of sewing and then you shall have the pillows that agree with your home decor. Read on to learn how.
- Take the pillow which needs a new cover and remove the earlier cover. If that is the cover which is actually holding the stuffing or the contents, then leave it as it is. If the pillow is a ready-made one, just remove the plastic wrapper.Spread the material meant for the throw pillow cover on a flat surface. The wrong side of the material should be facing you when you do this. Now, fold the material symmetrically at the center so that the right sides are together in perfect alignment.
- Keep the designated pillow carefully over the folded material, making sure that sufficient material is visible under the sides of the folded material. The visible material will be used to cover the sides of the pillow placed above. You can assess the adequacy of the material by straightening the visible material along the sides of the pillow. Ensure that you have one inch more than the required thickness which would be required for stitching. Now, you have to cut the material carefully, keeping all these points in mind that is, the length, width, thickness and the additional one inch of material required on all sides for stitching.
- Among the four sides of pillow cover material, select one side to place the zipper. You may start by opening the zipper and placing it neatly along the side of the material. Employ straight sewing pins to fix the zipper to the material. Ensure that both sides of the zipper have fixed in the same direction of the material. You may verify this by trying to zip and unzip once and also see if the right sides of the material are together when you do this. The zipper pull too should be sliding along the right side of the material.
- Now, we shall concentrate on the sewing aspect. Select a strong thread which matches your material and thread your sewing machine with it. Run the machine over the straight pins [mentioned in (iv) above] along the entire length of zipper material neatly, so that the zipper is able to perform well. Keep the zipper open until the entire pillow is sewed on all sides.
- Finish sewing the remaining three sides of the pillow material. Once you have sewn two sides, just try sliding the pillow into the material to ensure if the size is apt. To ensure a neat finish, you may appropriately adjust sewing the last side so that the finished cover appears well-fit and snug.
- You shall need to clip the inner corners of the now fully sewn pillow cover which gives a neat finish to the finished product, instead of sharp and protruding corners. Now, bring the right side out and see if the stitches look neat and symmetrical. Slide the pillow inside the newly stitched cover and pull the zipper softly. Aren’t you proud of your new home-made cover that shall adorn your chair? Repeat the process with other covers too.